||Datin Faizah Jamaludin
Partner, Corporate Division
Tel: 603 - 2081 3999 ext 838
Fax: 603 - 2094 3211
|Faizah is “Exceptional who understands the industry and knows how to create a win-win solution.”
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016
Faizah Jamaludin is a partner in Skrine’s Corporate Division and heads both its Oil & Gas, Energy & Utilities and Competition Practice Groups.
Faizah represents companies in asset and corporate acquisitions and divestitures, project development, PSCs, JOAs, farmouts, risk service contracts, alliance agreements and commercial contracts in Malaysia. She also advises on downstream refining and renewable energy projects. Before joining Skrine, Faizah was a Legal Officer with the Office of the Building Societies Ombudsman, UK and a Senior Attorney with ExxonMobil, Malaysia.
Faizah had served on the government’s working group on the drafting of Malaysia’s competition laws. Together with her team, she advises local and international companies on Malaysia’s competition laws and has conducted competition law audits, provided trainings and assisted in implementing competition compliance procedures. She has also represented various companies and industry groups at the Malaysian Competition Commission (MyCC) in block exemptions applications, cartel & abuse of dominance investigations and leniency applications.
Faizah has been recognised for many years by Chambers Asia Pacific, the Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Who’s Who Legal, the International Financial Law Review 1000 (IFLR1000) and Asialaw Profiles as a leading lawyer in Malaysia. Faizah was named by Who’s Who Legal: Energy in 2015 as a leading energy lawyer in in Malaysia 2015. Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 listed Skrine as “having a very strong practice in oil and gas” and “Skrine has very good reputation for upstream work” and named Faizah as Band 1 in Competition/ Antitrust. The International Financial Law Review 1000 (IFLR1000) also named Faizah as a leading lawyer in Malaysia in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 for both Oil & Gas and Competition Practices and Asialaw Profiles also named Faizah as a leading lawyer in Malaysia in 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016.
Faizah is a Barrister of the Inner Temple, London. She was called to both the English and Malaysian Bars.
Areas of Practice
Energy, Oil & Gas, Corporate / M&A, Competition Law, Shipping and Healthcare.
- President, Malaysia Inner Temple Alumni Association
- Chair of Ethics, Legal & IP Council, Malaysian International Chamber of Commerce (MICCI)
- Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Barrister-At-Law Inner Temple, London
- LL.M, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
- LL.B (Hons), Brunel University, United Kingdom
- Acted for Final Capital Sdn. Bhd., a subsidiary of China General Nuclear Power Corporation Ltd which entered into a share sale and purchase agreement for the acquisition of all of 1Malaysia Development Berhad’s power assets in Malaysia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, UAE and Egypt for a total consideration of US$2.3 billion.
[Awarded ALB Malaysian M&A Deal of the Year 2016]
Corporate and M &A
- Acted for Lundin Petroleum Ab (“Lundin Petroleum”) in the sale the 100 percent issued share capital of Lundin Services Limited (which owns the FPSO Bertam oilfield) to M3nergy Investment Ltd (M3nergy)
- Advised and acted for Jardboranir HF. (a.k.a. Iceland Drilling Company) relating to dispute with Tawau Green Energy Sdn Bhd
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Murphy Oil Corporation for the disposal of 30% of its interest in its Malaysian assets to PT Pertamina for USD2 billion.
[Awarded ALB Malaysian M&A Deal of the Year 2015]
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Phillips 66 in the sale of their shares in the Malaysian Refining Company to Petronas.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Newfield Exploration Company in the disposal of its Malaysian oil and gas assets for RM2.85 billion to SapuraKencana.
- Acted as lead counsel for Petronas Dagangan it its acquisition of LPG and lubricant businesses in the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Acted for Kulim (Malaysia) Berhad, the majority shareholder of New Britain Palm Oil Limited, the largest producer of sustainable palm oil in the world, in a takeover by Sime Darby for £1.5 billion.
[Finalist: ALB Malaysian M&A Deal of the Year 2016]
- Acted for Toyota Tsusho Corp. in its acquisition of Borneo Technical Co. (M) Sdn Bhd from Hup Soon Global Corporation Limited.
- Advised and acted for BP plc in the sale of its purified terephtalic acid (PTA) production plant in Gebeng, Kuantan to India’s Reliance Global Holdings Pte Ltd.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for USG Corporation in its US$1.6 billion joint venture with Boral Limited.
- Acted for Versalis, a subsidiary of ENI, in a joint-venture with a Petronas subsidiary, for the development of an Elastomer Plant within the proposed RAPID complex in Pengerang, Johor.
- Acting for Itochu Corporation, in a joint-venture with a Petronas subsidiary, for the development of petrochemical plant within the proposed RAPID complex in Pengerang, Johor.
- Advised and acted for a consortium of short-listed bidders in the acquisition of Esso Malaysia Berhad, ExxonMobil Malaysia and ExxonMobil Borneo from ExxonMobil Corporation.
- Advised EnQuest plc in its acquisition of Nio Sabah Petroleum, which has participating interest in Blocks SB307 and SB308 PSCs, offshore Malaysia.
- Acted for Leighton Offshore in its acquisition of DPS Bristol’s engineering consultancy business in Malaysia.
- Acted for Subsea 7 in their acquisition and setting up of their Malaysian oil service business.
- Acted for Schlumberger in the disposal of one of its Malaysian business units
Oil & Gas
- Acted for Inpex Corporation in the farm-out of part of its interest in Block S and Block R PSCs to Santos.
- Acted for and advised Salamander Energy for Block PM322 PSC and JOA with PETRONAS and PETRONAS Carigali.
- Acted for and advised GDF Suez for Block 2F and Block 3F PSCs and JOAs with PETRONAS, PETRONAS Carigali and JX Nippon.
- Acted for and advised Pexco for Blocks SK301B, SK302A, SK302B and SK303A with PETRONAS and PETRONAS Carigali.
- Acted and advised RH Petrogas for Block SK331 PSC and JOA, onshore Sarawak, with PETRONAS and PETRONAS Carigali.
- Advised and acted for Mubadala Oil & Gas for Blocks SK320 and PM324.
- Acted for Mitsubishi Corporation for their farm-in of Block SK310 and Block 2C PSCs and JOAs.
- Advised BHP Billiton in the farmout of Block 2A and N, offshore Malaysia.
- Acted for Talisman in relation to the PM3 CAA PSC and JOA.
- Acted for ROC Oil for its Risk Service Contract (RSC) with PETRONAS and PETRONAS Carigali and their Shareholder Agreement with Dialog for the Balai Cluster fields.
- Acted as local counsel for Coastal Energy in its joint-venture with Petra Energy Berhad to undertake Coastal’s RSC with PETRONAS for the development and production of petroleum from the Kapal, Banang and Meranti cluster fields offshore Malaysia.
- Advised EnQuest plc for its Small Field RSC for the Tanjung Baram field.
- Advised Halliburton in its entry into an alliance agreement with Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd and its shareholders agreement with Dialog for the Bayan Field.
- Advised Schlumberger its OSC for provision services related to the enhancement of recovery of reserves at the Samarang Field.
- Acted for a number of international oil services companies in the setting-up of their Malaysian operations and Petronas licensing.
- Served on Government of Malaysia’s working group on the drafting of the country’s competition law and policy.
- Represented the Malaysian International Chamber of Commerce on the government’s consultation group (CG-25) on the Competition Act 2010 and the Competition Commission Act 2010.
- Acted for liner shipping companies in their application to the Malaysian Competition Commission (MyCC) for a block exemption under the Competition Act 2010. It is to date the first and only block exemption granted by the MyCC.
- Acting for all the life insurance and re-insurance companies and takaful companies in Malaysia in their applications to the MyCC for a block exemption under the Competition Act 2010.
- Conducting competition law audits and assisting in competition law compliance work such amending of agreement, drafting of competition compliance manuals, “dawn raid” protocols of MNCs such as BMW, ING, Coca-Cola, BP.
- Advising and conducting competition/anti-trust laws trainings MNCs and GLCs e.g. Petronas, ExxonMobil, BP, ING, UEM, Maxis, CIMB Bank, HSBC, Colgate Palmolive, BMW, Coca-Cola, Tetra-Pak, Perlis Plantations, Boustead Group.
- Advising several banks and insurance companies on competition law issues relating to bancassurance arrangements.
- Conducted a study for TNB on the possible effects of the Malaysian competition policy on the Malaysian electricity supply industry.
- Advised on Malaysian competition law issues on Warner Music Group-EMI worldwide marketing and distribution arrangements.
- Advised GSK on a long term supply arrangement of pharmaceutical products to the Malaysian government for its national immunisation program.
- Acted and acting for several companies in a cartel investigation and abuse of dominance by the MyCC. Acted for a company in a leniency application to the MyCC.
- Contributing author: Chambers Global Practice Guide – Energy: Oil & Gas 2016
- Author: Chapter on Malaysia’s Laws and Regulation for the Oil Industry, Getting the Deal Through: Oil Regulation 2009 – 2014
- Co-Author, Malaysian Chapter of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Oil & Gas Regulation 2014 and 2015
- Co-Author, Malaysian Chapter of The Oil & Gas Review (2nd Edition)
- Author: Malaysian Chapter in Handbook of Competition Enforcement Agencies 2013 & 2014
- Contributing author: Oil & Gas Decommissioning: Law, Policy and Comparative Practice, publisher: Global Law and Business, UK, 1st Edition. March 2013
- Author: Arresting the Decline in Domestic Oil & Gas Production, The Business Advocate, MICCI, Q1/2013
- Exemptions under the Competition Act 2010: Legal Insights, September 2012
- Co-author: Another Tiger Rises: The implementation competition law in Malaysia, Competition Law Insight, 10 July 2012
- The Malaysian Competition Act 2010: Changed Or Be Changed” ALB Special Report: Malaysia 2010, June 2010
- No Turning Back Malaysian Competition Act, the EDGE Business and Investment Weekly (17-23 May 2010)
- The Malaysian Biofuel Industry Act 2007, Legal Insights, April 2008
- Shipping and the Malaysian Oil & Gas Industry, Legal Insights, October 2007
- Panellist: Domestic and foreign cartel enforcement: GCR Live: Law Leaders Asia-Pacific Conference, 5 March 2015
- The Legal Processes of Energy and Resources Work in Malaysia, AMPLA-IBA Resources and Energy Conference, Singapore, 4 July 2013
- Disputes Amongst Companies in the Oil and Gas Sector- Assessing Common Problems, SIAC Oil & Gas Asia Dispute Resolution Conference, Jakarta, 5 June 2013
- Turbulence or Tempest: Navigating the Malaysian Competition Act 2010, MICPA-Bursa Malaysia Business Forum 2012, Kuala Lumpur, 16 October 2012
- ASEAN-China Guidelines for Co-operation in the South China Sea: Can the Guidelines Effectively Solve the Boundary Disputes in the South China Sea? International Malaysia Law Conference 2012.
- Production Sharing Contracts in the Malaysian Petroleum Industry: A PETRONAS Perspective, International Malaysia Law Conference 2012, 27 September 2012.
Legal Insights 3/2015, September 2015 is now available. To access the newsletter, please click here.
Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards
Malaysian Intellectual Property Firm of the Year 2015
The Firm has been named the Malaysian Intellectual Property Firm of the Year 2015 in the Managing Intellectual Properties (Managing IP) Global Awards. The Firm has won this Award multiple times, including winning this Award in 2014.
Chambers Asia Pacific
Malaysia Law Firm of the Year 2015
SKRINE is pleased to announce that it has been awarded ‘Malaysia Law Firm of the Year 2015’ by Chambers Asia Pacific. This award is particularly meaningful to us as it recognises the work of law firms across the globe and reflects their notable achievements over the past twelve months including outstanding work, impressive strategic growth and excellence in client service. We would like to thank our valued clients for their continuing support and trust in us.
Asian Legal Business (ALB)
Malaysia Law Awards 2015
The Firm clinched three awards at the recent Asian Legal Business (ALB) Malaysia Law Awards 2015 held on 27 March 2015. The Firm was named the KLRCA Arbitration Law Firm of the Year, the Intellectual Property Firm of the Year, and received the M&A Deal of the Year for PT Pertamina Malaysia Eksplorasi Produksi's acquisition of 30 percent of Murphy Oil Corporation's Malaysian oil and gas assets. To read more, please click here.
Steps to deactivate cookies on internet browsers